Friday, February 3, 2012

More on Lenovo Ideapad K1

Just a note here. I'm typing this using my IBM T42 "workhorse" laptop I've had for years and upgraded successfully several times.

The IdeaPad keyboard functionality seems the most pressing issue right now. Today I could not subscribe to the New York Times using the Ideapad because the webpage entry for credit card expiration date month would not accept keyboard input using the IME. Using the Android keyboard input method resulted in a rejection by the Times site, even though it looked like the month was enters OK.

I've updated to Android 3.2.1, and there seem to be no newer upgrades when I let the Ideapad search for them. It says the Ideapad is up to date.

This reinforces my thinking that this device is great for data and information consumption but not for actually creating stuff, although it does a fair job of creating email. Note that the email client that came with it does not allow searches of past emails like the gmail client does, and to a limited extent the K9 mail program does. Why did they hamstring the non-gmail email reader? I can only guess it was to promote Google, and that is a big mistake since they will loose customers to Apple's iPad.

Anyway, Android tablets have a ways to go before they will be as smooth as the iPad.

No comments:

Post a Comment