Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Lenovo Ideapad K1 Will not Charge

After some hours on charge February 22, the K1 battery indicator indicated it was discharging. The wall receptacle was supplying electricity, so it seems that the K1 charging system had failed somehow. The most obvious suspect was the wall wart (power unit.) Not having a schematic I could not measure the output of the non-standard plug that connected it to the K1. I called Lenovo and was told they would send out another power unit the next day, even though it might not be that unit (it could be the Ideapad itself.) They would charge me around $53 security deposit pending return of the failed unit. Now, the power unit is a standard 12V 1.5A wall wart, costing maybe $5.00 for a general purpose one, like the one shown here, with the non-standard Ideapad connector, so that would really be a rip-off if you had to buy one:
We spent the next week traveling, and when I returned home there was no power adapter. I checked their web site using the reference number they gave me, and it said that they were waiting for the returned unit(!) I called them and they then said they had not shipped yet, and would not do so until March 2. I requested a longer warranty to cover the time I could not use the unit. They were to reply later on this.

Anyway, I'll write up what happens when I get the unit. But I already know Lenovo spare parts prices are a rip off.

P.S. I tried charging the unit using the USB cable that came with the unit, plugged into a standard USB port, and it did not supply any charging current.

No comments:

Post a Comment