Sunday, February 12, 2012

Your finger as a pointing device on a tablet

Another thing that makes the Lenovo Ideapad K1 tablet (and I think any other tablet based on the same touch screen technology) harder than a laptop for me to use is the way you need to use a thick finger to point to input fields, select words, etc. You can hook up a mouse I heard, but with your finger, you have to go thru lots of screen 'stretching' (on a multi-touch screen, a 2-finger exercise) to select small input fields, like dates.

I really need a mouse to do any fine-point selection. And, with my previous notes on the keyboard, you should also get a keyboard too if you want to do any real efficient content creation. And, to state the obvious, after adding a mouse and keyboard, you have a laptop, but with an ineffective, made for screen-interaction interface and operating system.

I actually plan to add an inexpensive bluetooth mouse and keyboard when I can afford it and report my findings. I did try a roll-up keyboard, but the user interface was horrid.

Anyway, with all these limitations, tablets are not replacements for laptops, for me anyway. Why are they so popular? They are good for content viewing, and maybe as special devices like cash registers like I saw yesterday in a bakery(sort of) and portable data collection, but not so good for many essential traditional laptop (and desktop) uses.

No comments:

Post a Comment