Tuesday, February 14, 2012

An admission

Readers may have wondered why this blog deviated from its stated goal of discussing the monitor. Well, we have been in New Hampshire, hiking, snowshoeing, etc. for a month, and the monitor quit working the second week, not to be heard from since. This also happened when we were away last summer, and it appeared that the RAM-based puppy linux system had run out of RAM, due to memory leaks or whatever. So, I added a way for the unit to report on memory usage. Here's the last report, tweeted:

"10:53:45 3721 57 (55-63) 49 (25-60) A/C Pwr on. Mem Total/Used: 505860/303508"

Obviously memory was not about to run out; there were only a little over 303 MB used out of over 505 MB total.

It is hard for me to get the person living in the house to remotely debug the thing, so I've let it go (partly since we have a house-sitter to report back.) I suspect a failure of the netbook, which is years old and decrepit. We will see after I get back home.

1 comment:

  1. The "about this blog" page, linked to in the upper right column of this page, describes the purpose of the blog.

    In a nutshell it describes the design of a temperature and power monitor based on inexpensive text (sms) messages that reports the temperatures and A/C power status in my house when I'm away. The use of text messages makes it possible to use without having internet access, which in my rural area is problematic.

    ReplyDelete